EAGLE PASS PUBLIC LIBRARY
The Eagle Pass Public Library was built in 1911 as a Spanish-style Presidio. For a time, it was the main post office before becoming the city library. Although beautiful and historic, the 11,000 sf building was not a practical library building. The only useable floor in the entire building was the main floor which was used primarily as a book depository and a small computer center. With less than 3500 sf of useable space, the library was totally inadequate for a city with a patron base of almost 50,000.
The city commissioned a well-known historical restoration architectural firm to re-design the building interiors and build an adjoining tower that housed an elevator and restrooms. The renovation included restoring the historical wood floors, installation of period appropriate wood paneling, molding and marble floors. The interior was repainted inside and outside to better match the historical colors of 1911. The building became a beautiful example of early 20th century Spanish architecture.
Due to the historical nature of the renovation, the new furnishings had to be consistent with the new look but also had to be functional. The library shelving was custom designed with wood and metal shelving with end panels that matched the ornate detail of the historical molding on the walls and baseboards. The tables and chairs were transitional in style with modern colors and features to blend with the old but satisfy the current patron needs. The basement was converted into a large computer center with over 50 computer stations plus a computer classroom. The second floor was split into a large children’s library, conference, meeting room, and administration area. The main floor became an historical style reading room with ornate ceilings, period appropriate hanging light fixtures and mobile book shelves. Combined with the historical appearance and modern capabilities, Eagle Pass now has a library that meets the needs of one of the fastest growing communities in Texas.